09 May 2014

Me-Made-May '14: Week One Completed

I've been posting the evidence of my Me-Mades in the MMM '14 Flickr Group. Here's a composite of the first eight days minus one:

MMM '14 Week One.jpg

The day missing from the composite is Friday, Day 2. Fridays are optionally themed under the very loose MMM '14 rules. The first Friday theme was "Cocktails," so here I am enjoying a lovely cocktail of ice water:

MMM'14 Day 2

What have I learned so far from participating in this challenge? First, that leggings are the most useful items of clothing since clothing was invented. I must make more. Even when they go out of style (are they in style now? Would I know? Do I care?) I'll continue to wear them under skirts to facilitate bicycling and avoid the dreaded chub rub.

There are a zillion patterns for leggings and tights in addition to McCall's 6360 which I've been using. At first I wondered how they could be different--sure, some had seams here and some had seams there, but so what? But my ignorance derives in part from the fact that all the leggings I've made are of Supplex or Dry-Flex or similar fabric. So they "fit" as long as they are big enough to go around me. A fabric without so much stretch would actually have to be roughly my size and shape. Sewing Cake's pattern for Espresso Leggings seems ideal to address this issue, at least according to Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow, who has made 8 pair and has worn them every day of Week One. In addition, the variety of seams in the different patterns add style to the basic utility of the leggings I've been sporting. Speaking of sport, Melissa of Fehr Trade offers both workout leggings and duathlon shorts with decorative and (I suppose, but I really have no idea) seaming in both. And pockets!

Another thing I'm learning is that I really have to work on figuring out a personal style that works for me--right now I have no idea. Take Vogue 1291, for example, which I wore on Day 5. It is a lovely top and very easy to make. I've made two. This one, which I decided after wearing it once was too big:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/13960122067_44def0eb93_m.jpghttps://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/13960169640_31648521c1_m.jpg

and the one pictured in the composite above, made a size smaller. That one was also too big--the top is supposed to be snug around the hips to create a blousy, drapey effect. So I snugged up the bottom and now the top fits properly, I guess. But I still look like a tree stump wearing it with my circle skirt. Light slowly dawns. Maybe tops that drop straight from the shoulders to the hips are not my best look? Hmm. Do I have a best look? It may be a moot question, since my "look" for the foreseeable future has to fit in the panniers on my bicycle, but I guess I'll give it some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment