18 May 2011

Reinventing the Wheel Part 2

Wow, thanks for all the supportive comments on Part 1! The title of that post was only supposed to refer to steps in the process of making the cycling dress--after hours of experimenting and pondering I find myself doing things I've read about a million times on your blogs, like borrowing a piece from a similarly shaped pattern, etc., thus reinventing the wheel. But, once I started writing, my soul (unconscious? evil twin?) grabbed hold of the pen. Writing is a dangerous business.

Before I get back to the project at hand, I think I'll have a little lie down to recover from the rose print discussion Karen's moderating over at Did You Make That,"It's Official. My Boyfriend's An Idiot." I'm pretty sure I turned 40 before one or two of the people commenting wisely over there on age-appropriate dressing were born.

OK, that's better.

I gave up on making a pattern from the dress and rummaged through my pattern library bin for something I could use. I came up with Simplicity 3506.

IMG 0023

The bodice seems about right, although the skirt is too fitted. (The two pics below were taken milliseconds apart.)

IMG 0020IMG 0021











So I traced the bodice, straightening it where it curved inward, and will make it up without the darts and stick a skirt on it.



IMG 0029

And we'll see.

4 comments:

  1. EXCITED! It's sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with cats getting on patterns and fabric? And now mine wants to sit in the middle of the quilting hoop, while I'm working on it. I love the video where your cat also wants to be the star. Oh and once my kids are grown I would like to become a crazy cyclist too. My deadly treadly is currently rusting at the back of the shed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the cats, but it really is hard to guide the seam under the presser foot when a cat is sitting on the fabric. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the print on your fabric! And your puss-cat is so sweet, "helping"...!

    ReplyDelete