06 August 2012

Prom Night Out!

I was where it's at at Promaballoona last night!

IMG 0607

And so were Nhi, Sandra Mc, Amity and Jill, all in beautifully made dresses! You can also see the back of Angela of Bonne Chance in this pic.

IMG 0601

And another KC!

IMG 0605

The Prom was lovely. Oona is such a sweetheart, the SewLA Shop is a great space, and seamsters are the best people! Lots of pix here and here,here and on SewLA's Facebook page.

I didn't really get moving on my dress for Oona Balloona's Prom until afternoon. I couldn't decide what to make, and I can't see the Olympics from my sewing room, you know how it goes. I still should have had plenty of time. I've made the dress, Butterick 5489, before.

IMG 0515

What could possibly go wrong? OK, the striped fabric, a $2.50/pound knit from Michael Levine Loft, was a little slippery. Like, no matter where I put it, as soon as I let go it slithered to the floor. And OK, I wanted to make it a foot longer this time. So I accurately measured out an extension to lengthen the dress and carefully applied it to the front and half the back. Oops.

But things got really educational when I set to making the buttonholes at each side of the front waist to thread the ties through. I've always considered my machine's ability to make buttonholes to be a kind of magic, so when I blithely ran this creation under the buttonhole foot and it came out innocent of any stitching, I did not know what to do. I tried a few "magic" words. I brushed my teeth. I changed my needle. Nothing. At last, desperate, I read the directions and learned about gimp. Gimp? Gimp! And that my machine has special settings just for buttonholes in stretch knit. Who knew?

Now seriously pressed for time I raced ahead with the dress. I was determined to use my FabricMart mystery bundle giraffe print somehow so I made the ties and neck and arm binding with it. It's a look, OK? But I still had to deal with the hemline, which I had to hack off at knee length to match the unfortunately brief half of the back. It was nearly 9 p.m. and Heidi, Nina and Michael were getting impatient. So I made it work by doing a "Renfrew" at the hem with a wide doubled band of giraffe. Perfection. Or, at least, no worse than my original prom dress. I left the gimp threads hanging on the dress so I could brag about them.

8 comments:

  1. I like the giraffe print with the stripy blues and greens. I'm sure Oona was most impressed. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress turned out to be great, after all! And I like the combination of the blue with the giraffe print! (Not sure about the tiara, though ;) ) Seems you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like everyone had a ball!!! Love your dress - the colour/pattern combo is super...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great combo: gorgeous colours and animal print!

    I admire you for sewing under pressure (the thought makes me very nervous).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems as though "you made it work" Looks great and seems as though you had a good time.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice combination of fabrics. I wish I could have been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! You used the giraffe. Absolutely inspired and inspiring. Love your dress. Promaballoona looks like it was amazing!! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete