01 May 2013

Me-Made-May and -- All Better!


Mmay13

OK, I'm in with 500 or so of you in taking Zoe's Me-Made-May Challenge. I had been hoping to spend May sewing and wearing new me-made clothing. As soon as I finish this paper which I am about to begin (it's all written in my head, don't worry). And then finish grading. And then attend a memorial service in Washington, D.C. and then my little brother's wedding in Ohio the next day. And then visit with my mother until the end of the month when I'm off to present the still-hypothetical paper at a conference in Boston. In my still-hypothetical me-made clothing. But I can do it, right? I am Woman! Meow. So anyway, Day 1 I wore this, including these shoes (which I did not make) although this is an old picture.

IMG 0616

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. I wanted to comment on some blog or other and had to sign up for Disqus to do it. A Perfect Nose mentioned Disqus as a way of evading spam on my own blog such as the following, which I find kind of cute in a delusional psychedelic way …
A гaw onion may pеrhaps be гubbed on unbrοken chilblains with exсeρtionаl good reѕults. This have nearly alwaуs bеen a favored actіvity іn my household. Continue 11 miles, and observe fastidіouѕly for the indication to Laupаhοehoe Level Seаshore Park on the correct.
… without subjecting people to impossible Captcha exercises. So I (think I) signed up my blog and (think I) imported all your comments but I don't know where they went! FWIW, I can still read them all on my Blogger Dashboard, but until I test commented every post showed 0 comments and 0 reactions. Now the last post says it has 1 comment (mine) and over a billion reactions which I can't see. Oh well.

Update: On the advice of my wise friends, I dumped Disqus. Happy again.


9 comments:

  1. I tried Disqus, but some of my readers were unable to comment. So I removed it and stopped allowing anonymous comments. Presto chango no more spam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remove it will your old comments come back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short answer, eventually. It took some fiddling while holding your tongue the right way.

      Delete
  3. I know nothing about this stuff....... Are you only in DC for a day? Would love to meet up with you IRL....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally, able to comment on your blog! Glad you fixed it. Good luck with MMM, I don't have the nerve to wear 30 tennis outfits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of anyone who has 30 (or anything close to 30) tennis outfits. Or the need for 30 (or anything close to 30) tennis outfit! I want to see more pics!

      Delete
  5. Oh the technology - does your head in. Great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I used to chuckle at the odd funny spam comment, but then they got boring and I got sick to death of them... and I tried disqus briefly too, but it seemed a lot of people couldn't use it and some comments did not show up. Stuff that!
    In spite of your busy month I'm sure you're going to nail MMM again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had issues with disqus-looks like it doesn't work too well with older blogspot themes. It should reboot if you update your theme but I'm not sure if your theme has had/will have an update.. On Wordpress it's inbuilt and updates with whatever version of WP is currently on and works fine. Re: the people who can't comment from iOS-that is an Apple issue. Apple doesn't allow javascript on their system and disqus needs it to work. =S

    ReplyDelete