16 January 2011

Success!

I made a skirt! Not only is it wearable, I will actually wear it!

IMG_2051.JPG

A few things I did for the first time on this project:
1. I graded the pattern size (way) up.
2. I redrew the pattern onto pattern paper rather than cutting the tissue.
3. I finished the seams by serging them. I was too lazy to rethread the serger, though, so I used black thread on my gold fabric. I also finished the hem edge by serging it, but then I cut off the serging. The fabric doesn't ravel anyway and the serging was crooked and unattractive.

IMG_2050.JPG

4. I stitched the hem with the double needle on my sewing machine. Living dangerously, I wound up with exactly enough thread in the color I was using--another few inches and I'd have had to change color!

IMG_2049.JPG

And, not a first, but I got a lot of help from my familiar William.

IMG_2048.JPG

Below is my (first) review on Pattern Review:

Pattern Description: Misses'/Women's Dress or top, skirt, pants, jacket and tie belt. I made the skirt.

Pattern Sizing: Size AA: 10-18. I graded (way) up from the 18.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Not really--mine's fuller at the waist, shorter, less tapered, and I used a drapier fabric.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Absurdly easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? What's not to like? I like how simple it is. I also like the wardrobe-building possibilities in this pattern.

Fabric Used: I used a dark gold moleskin I bought at Jo-Ann years ago to make a cloak to go with a Lord of the Rings movie party costume! I never made the cloak; I could probably make the whole wardrobe out of the moleskin I have left after the skirt!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I'm in serious denial about my dumpy shape, so I'm always trying to make too small a size. So this time I decided I'd just start with something way too big and enjoy making it smaller. I took the size 18 (should have bought the Women's sized pattern), shortened it by 6 inches and added 2 inches to each side of the pattern piece. Since the single piece is cut 4 times, that added 16 inches to the circumference of the skirt. Then I cut some of the excess out again and wound up with something that fits without having to think too hard about exactly what size I am. Neurotic, I know, but it worked. Of course, the final product bears little resemblance to the pattern picture.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and yes. I need lots of skirts and will probably make another before the weekend is over. If you don't mind an elastic waist, this is quite serviceable.
Conclusion: I needed to make something to wear to work and to break a sewer's block I was suffering. This worked.

2 comments:

  1. Hey KC! Awesome to break through the sewer's block. I was having a bloggers block and the finish a day is helping with that one.
    Phew!
    The skirt looks great. Nice job on the double needle hem. I have yet to try that, but the fellas in my life are asking for custom shirts, so my time may fast be approaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skirt! Nothing wrong with an elastic waist either. I have made lots of pants and skirts with elastic waists since they are so comfortable. Your skirt is stylish and comfortable too. What more can you want from a garment?! Lovely color, too!

    ReplyDelete